7.28.2007

Pescado apocalypse

I dunno what's going on with the fish tank these days.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I had a fish jump out of the tank. Dumb bastard jumped the back side, slid down the wall, and ended up under the old dresser I've got the tank on. Sean was able to get his hand under there with a net to drag him out. He was covered in dust, but we dropped him back in and he seems fine today. He probably spent about 90 seconds sucking air. This was one of the blue Frontosas, but the smallest in the tank. Always getting beat up on..

In the same tank today Lauren noticed that Fester wasn't looking so hot. Firstly she was actually out and about instead of hiding and giving us all the evil eye. Secondly, she was huffing and puffing and kind of floating at a funky angle. An hour later I turn my head from the computer and I'm treated to the sight of Fester now on her back at the bottom of the tank, guts already all eaten out by the others. I really can't believe how fast they chowed down.

So that's 2 deaths this year so far and one attempted suicide. The first one, earlier this year, seemed pretty random. One of the yellow labs had his back half eaten off before I got home from work. Fester was probably pretty old, so that made some sense. Fish wasn't right in the head anyway. Hopefully this lower tank population means a bit more calm and the Frontosas being able to grow a bit better.

Maybe I need to arrange for.. accidents.. to happen to the half breeds now.

No comments: