3.23.2007

Constant Gardener

Well, it took multiple nights, which is a bad sign for me watching movies on weeknights, but I finished Constant Gardener.

I'd have to say that overall I really liked this movie. It had a very strong Brazil vibe in the well meaning but oblivious and completely inoffensive Sam Lowry character completely falling for a strong minded activist that pokes the wrong giant in the eye. So it was funky seeing these characters pulled from 1984/Orwell type dystopia to African/Big Pharma dystopia..

The cinematography was great - this story was told in an interesting way and managed to use non-linear sequencing well. I really loathe when they can't tell something out of order properly. I'm interested in seeing City of God now, considering how well this director put things together. Perhaps I'll add it to the SuperQueue.

Last of all, I really love movies that don't have happy endings. It's a relief when I can slump down with the characters and empathize with their tiredness. The most recent other example of that was Children of Men - supremely good movie that left my physically exhausted at the end. I can't wait for that DVD to come out this Tuesday.

Overall - Constant Gardener 4/5

Up tonight - Inside Man, Descent(I can't resist the term 'spelunking horror'), and Jack Daniels

No comments: