5.18.2011

Mississippi flooding near Memphis - May 2011

I had a chance to film some footage of how the flooding of the Mississippi river looked down near Memphis right when it was about to crest.  Not that I was standing around with a camera.  No, I attached my camera to the rental car to get some footage of just how long it took to cross the Mississippi's new width.

I'll start off with some before and after satellite pics.  I can't claim to have taken these..

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=50549

Then we have the north view off Interstate 40 going from Memphis over to Arkansas:



And the south view off Interstate 40 on the drive from Arkansas to Memphis:



I'll be honest and say that Memphis proper wasn't really affected by the flooding.  Memphis is a city on the bluffs.  It's the people that bought into the developments down into the river and on shallow islands that got hit more.  Over on the Arkansas side, though.. As you can see from the satellite pictures, the land was just swallowed up..

I don't have any footage, because it wasn't very interesting to look at, from down in Mississippi state.  I drove down there hoping to find a better vantage.  Driving through all these farmed areas with smaller and smaller roads, all of the promising looking roads were closed.  So, imagine some dramatic footage of road closed signs.  Sorry, I wasn't going to go exploring forbidden areas with a rental Jetta..

1 comment:

suzanne said...

Thank you for these videos. I was in Memphis for the Blues Music Awards and friends drove me over the exact same bridges on my last day, May 8th. Fortunately my friends are all safe, but so many are not. I love this city.... so pray that those in power make sure this never re-occurs.