2.19.2010

To commemorate that I just realized it's been 10 years since Boris the Sprinkler's last album.

When I was in college I had this silly experience that can only happen in those teen years.  I had just started working at the radio station at Elmhurst College and I was dropping anything into the disc player to check out.  I had found this awesome band on a Mentos music sampler - Boris the Sprinkler - with the track Weird Lookin' Woman.  It really fit in with the Church of the SubGenius vibe I was digging those days.  Rant of the underman.  Are we not men?  We are Devo! 

At the time there was a nice little eco-system of used and new music around oak park.  There was Music Recyclery in North Riverside.  Disc-Go-Round outside of the mall.  2nd Hand Tunes on Oak Park Avenue.  Some random little place on Roosevelt near the Game Stop.  Val's Halla on South Boulevard.  A lot of options that I made the rounds of.  Napster was still 2 years away.

I didn't find Boris the Sprinkler at any of those places.

So I was in Val's Halla, trying to find some new stuff.  The girl at the register happened to be pretty cute.  Val's was the only place that had any cute girls working there, but they were really expensive.  So I tried to save my 'impressive' purchases for when I was there so I could get a chance to talk about the weird or classic stuff I was buying.  Odd TMBG stuff, Devo, Pixies.  All of that.

I decided to bring up Boris the Sprinkler to see if they could order any for me - they're always aggressive with the fact they can order things.

Girl pulls out the distributor catalog.. "Boris.. Boris.. Boris.. OK, here they are, what disc are you looking for?"  "I dunno, what are the options?"  Here's where it gets awkward..  "There's.. uh.. Eight Testicled Pogo Machine.. or.. Mega Anal?  There's the… Drugs and Masturbation single?"

 "Uh." 

One syllable was all I could really get out. 

Needless to say, I didn't try that route any more at Val's.  Who knew you could get so burned at lame flirting attempts just asking for album names?

No comments: