2.03.2008

94 - Pulp Fiction

We continue our attack on the AFI Top 100 films with number 94, Pulp Fiction.

This one was easy to do, since I already own it. The problem, though, was it was already 11 when we started and I'm a huge wuss now. I guess that's what happens when you start work at 8am every day and you're used to 8 hours of sleep.

I've already seen this movie a bunch of times, and I love it. It helps that I was 15 when this movie came out - this is a movie that blows any teenager's mind and in my case is close to perfection. I don't know how much I feel of that now, but it's still pretty good. I have definitely fallen out of love with Quentin Tarantino, though. Watching the first half of Kill Bill I swore I could hear him just masturbating furiously in the background because that's essentially what that movie was. I never did bother to see the second half..

Lauren, not so much a fan of the non-linear timeline in Pulp Fiction. I think it makes the movie a bit more interesting and definitely adds to it the first time you see it. I personally think that Tarantino, like Kevin Smith, is a lot more interesting when working with limited resources - see also Reservoir Dogs. This movie relied on dialogue, which was great, story, which was still interesting, and the actors. Big thumbs up on all of that. Also, the soundtrack of this totally kicks ass - see also Reservoir Dogs.

Considering the ripple effect that this movie had on the industry since it's premiere, I can definitely see why it made it onto the AFI list. However, it's not a movie that I'm going to be like "man, I can't wait to show this to my kids." Actually, it would be pretty cool to show to *older* kids, but also not the kind of movie that they would feel comfortable watching with me.

I once saw a commercial on WGN about how they were going to be showing Pulp Fiction on broadcast TV. I would almost pay money now to see exactly how they shoehorned that movie into FCC broadcast regulations. I think they probably would have had to get new voice actors to record an entirely new dialogue track. Possibly they would have spliced in some old cartoons to distract you from the extended scenes that were just unshowable.

No comments: